Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Qs & As with Jack Richardson


What is your name?
Jack Richardson

Where do you live?
Just outside Cambridge

What and where did you study?
I studied graphic design at the Cambridge school of art where I graduated from in 2009.

What do you do day to day?
Apart from being a part time worker and freelance designer, I look for inspiration from all angles for new ideas and potential projects.

How would you describe your work
I could say it’s a mixture of the simple and the complex, although I try to think of the best solution for a brief rather than the style.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
I tend to get influence from the shape and structure of everyday objects/buildings and places, shaving away the detail. More big influences of mine are texture, pattern and the majesty of space.

What are your tools/ what medium do you work in?
Illustrator and photoshop, but i do love taking things back to basics with a pen, paper and scanner.

When you work do you know first exactly what you want to do or do your ideas develop as you work?
I think my ideas have always developed from start to finish, going from brainstorming to general ideas then conclusion. Even when I create an illustrative piece where i know how I envision it when finished, it is never quite the same, which can be a good or bad thing (mostly good).

Do you think it is important for a graphic designer to brand him/herself with a distinct style or is it possible to be versatile and still marketable?
Parts of the industry does seem to work through trends, people will always adhere to these trends. Although some designers have a visually distinct style it seems like its deeper than the finished product, meaning work methods, mediums and inspirations. Its more about the answer to the brief than a visible style.

What do you think about the competition we ran and why did you submit?
As mentioned earlier pattern is a big influence of mine and after seeing the competition on the YCN website I jumped at the opportunity of entering. I also liked working with a restriction in size also for this particular project.

What are you working on at the moment?
Recently I've been involved in creating pattern work for a clothing wholesalers. Also I have been looking into types of branding, especially Japanese stab stitch binding. So coming up soon I will be uploading photos of a book project involving this.

Where can we see more of your work?
My portfolio website is online at standinginafield.com plus I have a flickr stream at www.flickr.com/jackrichardson. Also if you happen to follow Plan-B Studio one of my illustrations was featured in the politics issue of the project 10 newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment