Monday, September 6, 2010

Qs & As with Jamie Winder




What is your name?
Jamie Winder

Where do you live?
Hackney

Where/ What did you study, if you studied?
I studied Graphic Design at Southampton Institute (now Solent University)

What do you do day to day?
I'm a freelance graphic designer, working across print, web, branding... anything I get the opportunity to do really!

How would you describe your work?
Commercially, I keep most things neat and functional. My screenprints, though, are becoming increasingly abstract and I'm trying to squeeze the most out of my colours with the use of various patterns. Hopefully there will be chances to implement this kind of thing commercially in future

Do you ever find that the necessity to make commercial work and earn through your work hinders your freedom to do anything you want?
Yes! Imagine all that time you spend commercially instead dedicated to experimentation and personal projects. How interesting things would be! On the other hand, I do feel that working to specific briefs for clients has greatly improved my design skills...

Where do you get your inspiration from?
East London, all around... First Thursdays is normally a good bet, though East London is generally vibrant—inspiration is all over the streets and walls, clubs and bars, shops and people. I'm happy just to stroll about. Also Kandinsky and Barney Bubbles!

What are your tools/ what medium do you work in?
Artwork is normally sketched out (badly) by hand and then straightened out on a Mac

What do you think about the competition we ran and why did you submit?
I liked the idea of creating artwork to be screenprinted onto something that has an actual function and will be used

What are you working on at the moment?
Doing a bit of work for Kickers and preparing my contribution to Household's 'Poundshop' event (which, as it happens, also involves screenprinting something practical...)—opening 18th September!

Where can we see more of your work?

No comments:

Post a Comment